June 06, 2010

6/30 - A 50 mile wet training ride !

Todays exercise - Cycling 50.27 miles in 3.30.28

Yesterdays weather was lovely and warm, but good things never last, and indeed the thunder storms came over last night and washed it all away.
I was really looking forward to the ride as I had changed my blebbed bike tyre and swapped both over to the super sleek Schwalbe Blizzards, this was going to be a maiden voyage for them.
Todays ride was going to be a re-run of the 42 miler that we did on Monday and the hills that we rode up back then. We did follow roughly the same route, but with some extra miles thrown in and a couple more hills. To paint a more hardcore gloss over this, it truly pissed it down for most of the first hour and at one point we had to literally stop and dive under a tree it was that bad !!!
The hill climbing was a lot better than Monday as well and I think I might even be developing some climbers legs ! (Lance Armstrong look out!) At one point today we were even in danger of overtaking horses on a hill, but they got a bit of a spurt on and beat us !
One thing I got wrong today was my refuelling as all I took was water, whereas my friend took a block of Rowntrees Jelly and ate that. Next ride I'm going to take along some Custard and Cream so that he can make himself a trifle !!!!!
On the home leg, a suicidal cat decided to have a go at being a spokey dokey by diving out in front of me, but was OK, thankfully.
So that was it, a first of many 50 mile plus rides, and seven more hills tamed. I really feel confident now that Antwerp in achievable.

1 comment:

  1. you can keep all your namby-pamby Science in Sport modern fuel, Jelly is totally retro and always got me through my racing career!!

    You laughed, but who had the Jelly legs on the last climb?

    not being funny though, what were you doing commenting on the cat wanting to be a spokey dokey??? Did you not notice the car going the down the last hill go into the fence and bounce out? Think his mum is gonna kill him for smashing the car up!!

    ReplyDelete