June 24, 2010

24/30 A greasy fast time trial !



Todays exercise - Cycling 17.23 miles in 53.15


From the depths of my bike store (conservatory) , and from behind my normal road bike came my Focus Culebro TT bike for only its second airing of the year.

Now the problem with these types of bikes are that they are only bloody fast in a straight line, they corner like battleships, and to get the very best out of them you have to ride them in a crouched position which is difficult to maintain.

So, with all of my excuses safely out of the way, I decided to have a crack at what I know as the 1 hour route. In fact, the fastest that we had ridden this course was 59 mins 10 secs, and Kev pulled me around on that occasion.

I decided not to wear my ipod as well because I'm still pretty wobbly on it, and wanted to be able to hear the traffic coming from behind.

Apart from some wobbly handling early on, I soon had a go at settling down into the aero position and held that for a good mile or so, it felt a little easier than last time and it is true that you expend less energy in that tuck position. Still, it felt a little unnatural and I alternated between sat up and tuck. I knew the time was a fast one at the end of Brant Road where over a minute had already been saved, and with that in mind I found myself more willing to spend longer down in the bars.

The whole route seemed to be over before it really began and at a cracking time of 53.15 which is a whisker off being six whole minutes faster than that course had been done before.

Now thats greasy fast !



No comments:

Post a Comment