June 12, 2010

12/30 Another 50 mile bike ride squeezed in before a World Cup BBQ!

Todays exercise - Cycling 50.27 miles in 3.21.28

I had a total conundrum this weekend where I wanted to keep up my Juneathon efforts up but also wanted to go to my friends World Cup BBQ where I'm sure I will eat and drink far too much.
The solution was to go for tomorrows scheduled cycle ride this morning, thus earning an extra 3000 calories that I could 'spend' at the BBQ - Simples !!
I also wanted to test out better nutrition on the bike and took with me an Asda bake bar and two Lucozade gels as well as SIS drink in my bottle. I'm sure my training partner was secretly in awe of this superior and advanced nutritional programme as he again took his slab of Jelly.
We rode very well and I was pleased with my own efforts after he had pretty much carried me round on Thursday. I felt a lot better too, and the Ibuprofen that I took half way round certainly helped me through the knee pain that I had left over from last nights run. We again took in the same hills as on Sunday, but I swear they were a little better this time around.
In all, our pace was nearly 10 minutes quicker than Sundays circuit without the feeling that we were pushing it the whole time, and the progression is certainly there for both of us.
Highlight of the day was the squirrel or rabbitt, couldn't tell which, that did a kamikaze dive past the front of us and almost becoming cycling roadkill !
Now wheres that cheeseburger with my name on it ?

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to Lance Armstrong and the Other Tour riders scoffing ASDA bake bars in July!! ha ha ha.
    And you need a drugs test! openly admitting popping ibruprofen! It's just not cricket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy - What kind of Bike have you got - c'mon do a blog post on your 2 wheels, give us the lowdown and some sexy pics. Sean (AudioFuel)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm, As the anonymous guru behind Andy's bike training, he has been banned from showing pictures of the Raleigh Grifter with UCI approved spokey dokeys.

    However, he is doing well, hauling his training bike up the inclines on the training rides. He'll feel the difference when changing to his lighter, more responsive race day bike.

    ReplyDelete