June 13, 2010

13/30 Finally.... a 1.9km swim !!!!!

Todays Juneathon contribution - Swimming 1900m in 50 mins

On the 25th July, I'm having a go at the half ironman triathlon distance in Belgium.
That's a 1900m dip in the water, a 90km spin on a bike, and then a jog for 13miles to finish. I'm talking about it in this language because if I stopped to think about the actual distances and thought about it seriously, I would get bozz eyed and have to lie down !!
So my training has been about getting up towards those distances, and then to treat the whole day as one big training day.
Last week I tried to do the 1.9km swim in the pool at the leisure centre, but was foiled when with only 200 metres to go, they started to pull the lane ropes out. This week I was determined to stay in if necessary to get the job done !
Today, I nearly had an entire lane to myself, probably because there may have been a fair few people who partied a little hard yesterday and have decided to skip exercise today, hopefully this will help my Juneathon challenge. I left the pace nice and steady, didn't swallow as much water as usual, and kept an eye on the clock for the removal of those pesky lane ropes.
I was on my final 76th length when the lane ropes started to get reeled in, but I didn't care, because that was another of the scary distances ticked off.

2 comments:

  1. Full respect for training for, let alone doing, the half ironman. I got my 50m badge at school and that's where my swimming ability peaked, i'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The furthest I got at school was the 10m badge that I did alongside my brother, we raced it and it seemed to take forever ! It was a good twenty years later that I managed to do anything near 50m !

    ReplyDelete