October 25, 2015

Scunthorpe Cyclocross

An afternoon of racing at the Common Plantation, Scunthorpe. Still had the arse end of a cold and it was derby day so needed a good race as a little pick me up.

After the heavy rain yesterday, I thought the course would be wet and muddy, but surprisingly it was near bone dry - a mixture of woodland fire paths, some well drained grass, and trails, with some sandy parts.

The technical features of the course were a large drop into a bomb hole (which I ran), a climb back out (which I ran), a sandy turn in some tress (which I ran) and a large log to jump over (obviously I ran that one !! ). There was some single track in the woods, and just a couple of sections that I could open up on. My race went like this...

Lap 1... Sprint off, but sprinting is not my bag baby, so dropped back a lot of places. Get to the single track section and its a biiiiiig long queue of single file riders, and its hard to overtake anywhere.
Get to the drop down and get off and run it, knackered by the bottom, and then have to run slowly up the other side, get into the clearing and its off again for the sand, and then on again, and before I knew it off again from the log - I was knackered already !!

Rest of the laps...... slowly going backwards and feeling more tired with each lap. I really think that getting on and off so many times is no good for me and takes too much out of me. I finished down the order and didn't think the course suited me. It was a great event though and on reflection there were a couple of parts that I should have been braver on.

Next week it's Hubbard Hills.....

No comments:

Post a Comment