October 05, 2015

Spalding Cyclocross

Legs shot from yesterdays Trike efforts, I made the daft decision to drive over to Neville avenue in Spalding this morning to take part in the second round of the Lincolnshire Cross League.

Last weeks 2nd to last placing after a puncture, had left me looking for a bit of luck and a better ride. I also looked to fall off less and be better at dismounts - these were the little improvements that I was looking for.

12.00 and we were set away ( I found myself gridded for some reason !), and soon fell back in the opening sprint. I tried to keep my heart rate down and power through the longer grassy straights that were as fast as a tester likes 'em. Half the course was like this, but the other half, more technical so plenty of practice with the dismounts, which I found I got better at as the race progressed.

No punctures and I was getting a real work out ! Rookie errors included running with the bike grounded which spat out the chain, and dismounting and getting caught by brambles , causing a fall, but nothing catastrophic.

I ended up racing for nearly an hour and finished 5th out of a fab 9 wheelers in the vets race. A much better outcome on a day when I wasn't expecting much !

No comments:

Post a Comment