September 13, 2015

Tricycle Association National 10 & 25 Champs

So this weekend, I mostly spent my days at Wolvey riding the Trike Association 10 & 25 mile Championships. The 10 would take place on Saturday afternoon, and the 25 would take place on the following Sunday morning on the K41/10 and K41/25 courses respectively.

The races went like this:

The 10 Champs 26.01
21 riders in total, and I was off at no.19. My brother Dave was first off at 3.02pm, so once I'd seen him away, I got chance for a little warm up. The course was a straight out and back with a large A5 roundabout to negotiate. Pancake flat, albeit a slow road surface, with some drags. Usual SC stuff.
We had a c.13mph crosswind, but with good hedging along the course, it never seemed that strong. The first couple of miles seemed to drag upwards a bit, and I might have started a bit keen trying to chase down my minute man. I was minute man to the Champ, Barry Charlton, and I had set myself the task of holing him off until the turn, but within half a mile of it, he had caught me. as Barry powered away on the return leg, I was counting the cost of my keenness earlier, and making a meal of the home leg.

Crossed the finish line under 26 mins I thought (and I had lost time at the roundabout), but the TK's had given me 26.01. 2nd place - good ride !  Dave finished in 36.25 and won the Handicap. competition.

The 25 Champs 1.06.59
Drove back the following morning, on a lovely day, but cold, mind you the wind had moved and had quietened down at c.7mph - an ideal speed for time trialling.
The course would take in the out leg on the 10 mile course, but would join the A5 and give me 5 miles or so of lovely Dual Carriageway action !

A two lap affair then, to make up the 25 mile distance and I would be no.17, with only, yep, youv'e guessed it, The Champ behind me again !!

Went for it at the start, and managed to keep the effort a notch below giddy ! Not the keen start I had yesterday, but caught my minute man earlier. The Champ also caught me earlier though and came past me like I was standing still !  There were plenty of people to chase down, and I enjoyed the rolling A5 section first time round. 2nd lap of the course hurt though and the sections on the A5 that rolled bore no resemblance to the ones I had ridden just half an hour earlier - I had a definate a dip in power second time around.

1.06.59 (this time the TK's were nice, albeit, I thought I'd gone six seconds quicker. A successful weekend of second placings. Still 3 more trike events left and then a change of position for the front end beckons for the off season.


No comments:

Post a Comment