September 27, 2015

Sleaford Cyclocross

Nearing the end of the TT season now, so that means only one thing to me - it's Cross season starting, and time to switch from a discipline that I'm OK at, to one that I'm a disaster at !!

This time last year was my first race, where I came dead last, and fell off loads. As my season progressed last year I got a little better and didn't fall off as much. This year I was determined to do even better......

It started well enough, weather gorgeous, and a change of venue from last years stupidly difficult Ancaster course, to a flatter, more sensible Sleaford Rugby Club venue. Everything shaping up for a good day, and then on the warm up lap I had two mishaps - the first banging my funny bone in my knee cocking up a dismount, and the second, also via a dismount, really damaging my backside !!

Beaten up already, I started the race, and was toward the rear for the early stages. The start had been very fast and I found myself being fast on the main straights, but in the more windy technical sections, I was slower. The course was mainly grass track, with some twisty sections cordoned off, and some tougher sections where hardcore had been put down to level the course. A couple of double board sections gave some respite, with both of these having to be dismounted for, unless you were able to bunny hop them - which I clearly couldn't !!

Laps 1-3, made my usual progress through the field, picking off riders eventually, and starting to get into the swing off things, when on lap 4, I managed to pick up a front wheel puncture in the hardcore section which prematurely ended my race.

so, not the start to the season that I wanted, but good to be back having some non-pressure fun again...

No comments:

Post a Comment