September 20, 2015

The ongoing quest to beat the hour !

VTTA Nottingham & East Mids 25 on the A25/34

How long have I been time trialling ? Well, to be honest, just since the very start of 2013. I'd done a couple of club events the previous year, but 2013 was the start of trying to take it seriously. This was my third full season and I'd seen winter training really pay off with better times than I'd expected.

I still, had not gone under the hour for a 25 miler and I was determined to put that monkey to bed by the end of the season. My only chance then, turned out to be the VTTA Nottm & E Mids event on the A25/34 course which is basically up and down the A46 between Newark and Bingham. I had gone 1.05 back in April on the trike, and liked the course despite the horrible draggy climb on the way out.

The event was almost cancelled, as the A1 at Newark was shut both ways and there were diversions in place, but we were lucky enough to catch a break and the event went ahead as the traffic didn't increase that much and there wasn't any queuing traffic on the course.

I chose a long sleeved black skinsuit for the day complete with bright pink overshoes - anything that would get me seen !  The wind was supposed to be 3-4 mph and north westerly - ideal conditions for the A25/34. My start time of 2.18 would see me off sandwiched inbetween two clubmates. I liked my chances which had been enhanced by a move to a larger chainring ready for next season - 53T gone, and replaced by a 55T - I was eager to see how I would fare with it.

I soon found out as I was set away, and began to find my was up and over the A46, ready to join the main carriageway going south towards Bingham. I've got to say, I much preferred the 55 as I tried to get a hold of a good solid 100 rpm cadence. a bit of gear twiddling (technical term TT fans) was going on, but I was happy with the speeds I was seeing. I did wonder if I had a cross backwind as I was making decent progress. I could feel wind on my face, but it played on my mind that I would have a headwind back - this made me push maybe a little harder on the way out.

There were a couple of drags, but I seemed to be in good order at the top of these brows and soon found myself at the bottom of the Bingham Mountain (tm). My plan had been to stick it in the bottom ring here, but I managed to get to the top in a 55 x 23 gear, albeit, really struggling at the top, and it was a good 30 seconds before I was able to get back up to speed again. 1 mile later and I was at the turn and it was time to find out about the wind !

Two roundabours and I had a backwind push up the ramp (pictured above sitting up as I pushed it) and I saw my average speed was already 25.3mph, which meant that I had the entire second half of the course along with back wind to push on and get a good way under the hour if possible, and thats what I did. Coming down the Bingham Mountain I couldn't spin enough in 55 x 11 and even thought about getting a 56 on, but that can be next year can't it !! Over 40mph and slowly catching my minute man - I couldn't beleive how well things were going. 10 miles later and I came to Farndon roundabout with a 27.3mph average.

One turn left and two miles of single carriageway to give it all I had. I wasn't as fast s it was a headwind, but buried myself to record a finish of 55.21 and a new PB of 7 minutes !!

Job done !

No comments:

Post a Comment