May 30, 2016

VC Lincoln Road Race

Wednesday evening was a brutally wet one and many decided to stay at home. For me, it was the first day of our GCC step challenge, so I needed to get out and make a good start.

This race is nine times up Brattleby Hill and last year (in similar conditions) I had managed six or so before becoming detached from the group. This year I was to have a good go at staying with the group until the end of the race !

I lined up in group two with plenty of other Wheelers and was set off on our way four mins after the first group. Within the first few miles, we had our first run at Brattleby Hill, and I was very nearly spat out there and then as the group attacked it and I just don't have the climbing ability to get up it that quickly. I managed to get back on and spent most of the lap recovering - and then it happened again !  I spent most of my time at the back of the group either recovering or getting ready for the Brattleby effort.

Third time up, it was a bit easier, as the front were less giddy, and I was able to do a couple of turns on the front. My race pretty much panned out like that until with two laps to go the third group caught us and that was that when we hit the hill - I truly blew up and spent the last lap trundling along until group four came past and I managed to jump on the back of those boys who brought me back to a couple of Wheelers who I managed to go past on the very last climb. 5th Wheeler on the night but 33rd I think overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment