July 09, 2019

A trio of triathlons

Mixed in with time trialling this year has been a return to Triathlon on a semi serious basis. Whilst I'm continuing to train like a dog on the bike, looked after as always by Ruth Eyles cycle coaching, I've mixed in some running at a low heart rate only to ensure it doesn't affect my biking, and my swimming has been basic level effort endurance, without technical drills and tri club sessions etc. Whilst I'm aware that there are gains to be made, well, I can't really take tri too seriously as I could fall out of love with it quite easily if I did.

Lincoln Triathlon - 28 April - 1.07.09

I seeded myslef with an 8.40 swim time, so enjoyed a mid morning start. Whilst my team mates had biffy swims, I enjoyed a no show in my lane and had a trouble free swim. Exiting and getting round to T1 in 8.56, I was well pleased with the effort.  T1 was quick as I don't bother with a lot of kit, and then it was out onto the road for possibly my first TT of the year. I didn't know where to pitch the watts, so took 260 as a target, and largely achieved it. 5th fastest bike of the event with a 35.12 and knowing there's more to come. Out onto the towpath run for a bit of an unknown. A bit giddy with a 6.40 something first mile, but held it together for a competent return to Tri. 19th overall of around 360 solos - I'll take that !

Southwell Triathlon - 2 June 2019 - 1.00.02

A return to Southwell and chasing a sub hour finish.  Started in the next lane to my unhinged buddy Scrappy, and that put me off from he start.  This race would be a tale of marginal losses rather than gains, and all because I was not fully concentrating on my own race.  The swim was a little bit slower than Lincoln at 9.44. A good fast transition of 49s was ruined by failing to mount the bike well at the line when the pre banded shoes had slipped and wedged under the bike. Then on the bike, and I suppose this is not my fault, my chained shipped at the top of a climb and I had to stop, get off, and put it back on the big ring. then I got stopped at the roundabout for two cars, and then slowed for the zebra crossing. I still managed 12th fastest bike, but it could have been so much better. I did put together a really good run of 20.10 to finish 26th solo on the day. I missed that sub hour by three seconds which could have been found in any of the above problems. I'll need to go back next year !

Dambuster Triathlon - 22 June 2019 - 2.25.25

A first open water event since Ironman Wales in 2014 and a first Olympic Distance event since the same event back in 2011 where I managed a 2.53 finish. This time I was nervous as I entered the water for my wave to start. It would be two laps of 750m with an australian exit. there seemed to be a lot of swimmers and I seeded myself toward the rear. We were soon underway and it was a congested affair to the first turn buoy. I settled soon after and found feet, meaning that I could relax about sighting. First lap in sixteen minutes, which was about right , and a decent second lap for a solid 33.35 swim. T1 was 2.05, and then it was out on the bike for a lumpy bike ride of 42km.  I managed my watts well, and apart from some busy roads and a little bit of sitting up, no further problems meant a competent 1.06 bike leg. Just the run to go, and I ran it sockless and in my new Brooks asteria. I could feel a stiffening of the calf with the flat shoes and I just about got away with a 10km of 42.42 to move up to 49th solo on the day. A top 50 finish is a far cry from 2010's last sheet of the results finish !












No comments:

Post a Comment