March 06, 2016

CC Breckland 10

Time for the annual pilgrimage down to Hingham, outside of Norwich for a 10 mile time trial that I have completed in March for the past two seasons. Previously, I had finished in 25.06 and 30/54 in 2014, and last year saw a massive improvement to 24.20 and a 26/64 finish.

I ummed and arred a bit about making the trip to Hingham as it was going to be a 180 mile round trip, and the weather was bitterly cold with a crosswind all the way down the course. I, of course, decided to race - well, when I haven't I ?? 

Nice enough trip down, got to the new HQ at Hingham in plenty of time, signed on, then went back to the car, unpacked it, started to rain, bike back in car, warm up in car ! 

With 25 minutes to the start, I went off for a very cold warm up for six miles or so, and in that time decided that it would be best (and warmer) if I kept my leg warmers on for the race. I made the start, with a minute to spare, so timing spot on. 

Pretty quickly I was off, and haring along quite nicely. The crosswind soon started to cause me bother and so did some of the undulations ! I was keeping a close eye on the power readings especially on the tougher bits to ensure I wasn't cooking it too badly. I didn't have the average speed that I thought I should have and because of that started rocking more than I usually do. 

To the turn, 4.9 miles in approx 12.19 and in good order, expecting a bit of help wind wise on the way back, but it didn't come. It was a tough tough return leg, with wind and some mild undulations meaning that I never really got the required momentum. 

As much as I battled, I just couldn't get the average speed above 24mph, albeit, my power output was almost exactly the same as a couple of weeks ago. 

25.08 at the finish and 23rd place-ish on the day. 180 miles driven, a flat tub costing £55 to replace. 

I still love it though. 


NP 310w
AP 305w
Temp : 5c
Wind : 17mph N
Pos 23/49
Course B10/19

No comments:

Post a Comment