May 31, 2015

Outlaw Half Relay

Today, I popped over to Holme PierrePont to take part in the Outlaw Half Triathlon that I completed last year. This year, with giving up the old swimming, I entered as part of a relay team, which would consist of my mate Bob on the swim, and my brother Dave on the run. I had the easy part of riding 56.7 miles and eating Jelly Babies !

This is how we got on, on a cold , wet, and windy day in Nottingham :

Swim 32.24 - Bob had completed Ironman Lanzarote just last Saturday, so this was a warm up for him in distance. from the first wave of the day, Bob cranked out a fast swim to put me on the bike well up the field.

Bike - 2.29.40 - Right, Jelly Baby munching time ! Already wet, there was nothing to do, but try and get around as quickly as possible. It started well, and I was quickly down in the bars taking places around the lake and moving my way up the field. Out onto the A52 and my average was above 24mph.

I knew the Northern loop would be quickest so decided to make hay whilst the sun didn't shine, battling hard against the elements, and making sure I didn't daydream or take my foot off the gas. I rode Oxton Bank very well and overtook a couple of relay teams in the process. Back through Southwell, and over the ripples to Lowdham Island. I think my average was 23.5 at this point, but I was soaked through and still cold !

The Southern Loop was harder, however, knowing I didn't have to run, coupled with tangling with a guy from TFN , kept me honest and as I passed through Car Colston, a lady was giving out positions - I was 11th, and the guy from TFN was 10th !!! I had never battled at the front of a race before, and was enjoying the feeling. I planned to take back that 10th place to put Dave in a good position and had managed it by the time we rolled back into HPP.

Run - 2.55.44 - we had set Dave a target of 3 hours and in his first Half Marathon he nailed it - I was made up for him and the team when we finished overall in a time of 6.00.39.

My performance today is going in the smile bank !!

No comments:

Post a Comment