May 17, 2015

LRRA 10 mile Champs - Skegness

What's not to like ?

It's a time trial by the Lincolnshire coast which meant the opportunity for an afternoon by the sea - but first came the real order of the day, which was to test myself finally against my peers and to see my commitment to the turbo since October had paid any dividend.

My personal best performance last year had been a 23.08 which I had laid down on the super fast V718 course at Hull, but I felt like that could be under threat today as I was still feeling good after Tuesdays 2-up effort with the club. I hadn't raced solo club time trials this year so didn't know where I would fit amongst the main protagonists - it was a case of suck it and see !

HQ was Gunby Hall which is about 10 miles outside Skeg. We arrived earlier than expected so decided to drive the course which I knew nothing about. I was happy that we took the time to do it though as I could see that it undulated up toward a roundabout, and then undulated downward to the finish which was at the bottom of a gift hill a la our very own Ingham course.

We parked up at the National Trust property, and I had the pleasure of warming up on the turbo whilst cows congregated to watch in the opposite field ! Still, it was a good 20 minute warm up and my legs felt better for it. then it was just a short trip up the finishing hill and then I was good to go.

I felt really good, and despite the 15mph Westerly wind, I was making good progress along the first stretch. Yes, there was an occasion where I was onlt doing 18mph up a slight rise, but there were also occasions where I comfortably holding above 25mph, I caught my minute man before the roundabout and had an average of c.23.6mph as I exited. Hard work done, it was time to make hay while the sun shined on the downward and back winded leg and I was soon in the 11 ring and pushing hard. First to the 25mph average, past another rider, and by the top of the finishing hill I was at 25.6mph. Down that beautiful parting gift from the course gods and hammering along at stupid miles an hour and past the finishing flag in a time of 22.32 - a new personal best by nearly 40 seconds and an average of 26.4 for the 9.92m course.


No comments:

Post a Comment