October 12, 2014

Lincoln Wheelers Trike Weekend 11 & 12 October

10m Event Saturday 11th October


This came around very quickly indeed. Just two weeks ago I was introduced to trike riding and had a go on a tricycle, which I found to be a very hard experience. Basically, whichever way you want to go, the trike wants to go the other, and over the past couple of weeks I've had some crashes and some very near misses with traffic. I did start to get the hang of it though, and was looking forward to this weekends Lincoln Wheelers Tandem &Trike Weekend by the time it came around.

My events started with the 10 mile time trial which uses our Thorney 10 course, so I knew the layout and the junctions. I went off at No2, and immediately knew that the first stretch of road was not even at all, with a bad surface and camber towards the inside. I rode in the centre of the road which seemed to be the safer option. One I was on the main road, I was able to hunker down properly into the tri bars and settle into a hard pace.  Whenever I felt tired, I dropped a gear and replicated the high cadence that I had been getting used to on the turbo. My pace was over 21mph, which I though was good for a first timer and with a back wind on the home stretch this climbed to 21.6mph !

When I got back to HQ I found out that I had won the event with a time of 27.43 for the day. £15 in prize money was well received too.

25m Event Sunday 12th October

Back at Harby then next day, for a misty morning time trial (see photo), but this time the longer 25 mile distance. Buoyed by yesterdays wim I was a little bit more confident going into this one, albeit apprehensive about the longer distance !

Again, I strarted brightly, but struggled to get down in the tri bars as I had bruised my arms the day before and this made trying that uncomfortable. I found myself down more and more in the drops, but felt really good for the first lap. The second lap of the course was really hard going, and I found myself counting down the miles to the finish.

2nd this time on the day with a finish time of 1.12.52 and 20.6mph. a further £10 and the Lincoln Wheelers Fulwood trophy rounded off a successful first foray into Tricycle Time Trialling.

No comments:

Post a Comment