December 26, 2013

Lincoln Wheelers Boxing Day TT 7.7miles


Guess who's back !

After a 3 month time trialling hiatus following the end of the time trialling season back in September, today was the technical start of the 2014 season for me with the first part of the Lincoln Wheelers 'Winter Double' taking place.

Its a 7.7 mile course in the shape of a large triangle and last year I managed a time of 20.13. This year I hoped for 18 something but was using my new bike for the first time and getting used to a new position and with a lack of real persistent training during the Autumn months it really was pie in the sky to expect that sort of improvement !

I went off at number 3 so that I could get back to HQ early for a bit of a jog as it was a really nice morning, about 5 degrees with a westerly 8/9 mph wind. I could see the steam coming out of the nearby power station and reasoned that I could expect a good fast last 3 miles.

How did it go ?
Well, the first straight felt good and then I found that my speed wasn't as fast as I'd left it back in September !  I noticed every rise in the road which is not a good thing and battled hard to change gears and keep my legs spinning. At the point that I'd ridden 11.40 for 5 miles back in early September, I now passed the same marker in nearly 13 minutes !

Time for the last 3 miles then and that lovely back wind that I'd estimated - nope, no backwind to be felt and I struggled to pick up any more pace. I crossed the line in 19.37 - 36 secs quicker than last year but over half a minute down on where I should have been - next ride is the second part of the double on New Years Day - hopefully we will see a little improvement !

5th place on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment