December 15, 2013

Bolsover 10k


Today was to be my last 10k of the year and a trip back to Bolsover where I last ran in 2011 bringing home a PB at that time of 54 minutes - so this was not a course that I was superstitious about.

This 10k run starts and finishes now in the grounds of Bolsover School and was said to be a flatter affair than in previous years as the Castle had been taken out of the equation. I was really looking forward to this race following my recent training runs with Lincoln & District Runners (LDR) where I have been feeling quicker week by week.

I arrived relatively early and chatted to friends from both UK Netrunner & LDR before making my way to a last minute toilet stop and lining up ready for the 10.30am start ! There was no gun or klaxon, just the field moving from a walk into a run in a quiet transition.

The first mile takes you through the suburbs of Bolsover and seemed to be a little downhill if anything with the only climb being jumping over sleeping policemen on the roads of the estates. I ran at a good pace and once I had settled down into a groove and got round anyone holding me up I found a 7.17 time for the first mile.

Mile 2 was mostly downhill and with a wind at our backs it was no surprise that it was the quickest of the day as I posted 7.07 for it !  Then the rises and falls started and mile 3 was slower - was it the terrain or had I started to blow up ? (in any case, I slowed to 7.32) but did pass the 5k marker in 22.18 which if accurate would mean a 5k PB for me !!!

We were now in full rolling territory and into a headwind coming back. It was hard work with the wind and the ups and downs and I coped by latching onto other runners and using them for sensible pacing. 7.36 for the 4th mile then, but during the latter stages of the fifth mile I started to feel groin pain which was uncomfortable. I dropped off my pace and I was aware that I shortened my stride to compensate for the injury. 7.48 for the 5th mile and a relieved Mr.Newham passed the Bolsover sign signalling our return during the last mile.

We were back in the Estate with the sleeping policemen and yes I was right it was downhill in that first mile ! I did keep up the same pace of 7.48 for that last mile, and picked things up a little for the finish which registered as a first sub 47 minute run for nearly 18 months. Happy bunny I am !!!!

Mile splits :
7.17
7.08
7.32
7.36
7.48
7.48
7.32 average 46.53  282nd /813 finishers

282/813

No comments:

Post a Comment