October 19, 2013

Sheffield Hillsborough Parkrun


It was back to Sheffield this morning to pick up my bike from Planet X and having chanced Sheffield Castle Parkrun a couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd pick a faster flatter Parkrun and opted for Hillsborough - you know what comes next......

That's right, it's Sheffield and it's built on hills, therefore nothing is entirely flat !

Got there pretty much on time in any case, and we made our way to the centre of the Park. My aim for the morning was to break 23 minutes and when we set off at 9.00 am I very quickly found myself congested and had to take a route diversion along the grass. The first part of the lap is a nice gradual slide down towards Sheffield Wednesday FC's Hillsborough stadium before taking in a tour of some tennis courts and then a long slog of a rise to the highest part of the course before a downhill to the start.

First lap clocked 7.17 but it was hard as I really pushed up the hill and I think I paid for it on the rest of the lap. Second lap 7.30 - slower as I paced the climb better, and on the third lap, by the time I got to the top of the climb I was truly wasted and my speed dropped off a cliff. I hit 3 miles at 7.38 and I ambled over the line finally in a total time of 23.09 - a whole 9 seconds outside of my time a couple of weeks ago on that roller coaster of a course at Sheffield Castle.....mmmm.... somethings are not always what they seem.....flat indeed !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment