March 27, 2011

Race Report - East Leake Triathlon 1.19.22

Todays date was circled in big red pen on the calendar, and is one of the most important dates in my calendar. It is the first Triathlon of the 2011 season, and officially my Triathlon season kicks off here after waiting the best part of 8 months since my last one. The clocks went forward an hour overnight which meant that this mornings half five alarm, was in reality, a half four wake up call, but thankfully I managed an early night, so it wasn't too bad ! This time I packed the car the night before, and double checked it so I had more than enough time to get to East Leake in good time, which I did, again rocking up a good hour before my swim start time. East Leake is in Leicestershire, near to East Midlands airport and close to the village of Gotham - so - a Batman themed race report is in order !

Blam ! - Swim 10.56


As swims go, this was OK, the time includes a long run to transition so is there or thereabouts my best time for the 400m distance. I was started at around 9.09 with no delays, and immediately forgot all of my training and decided to thrash around uncontrollably and get my breathing all wrong. I was overtaken by two competitors and it felt really slow going, a ten minute swim time came as something of a surprise !


T1- Took my time, socks, cycle shoes, and full gloves because it was bloody cold !


Kapow ! - Cycle -41.18


Following the Duathlon, I was confident that I could go under last years cycle time of 48 mins, by how much though I wasn't sure. The cycle started with a slow spin out of East Leake where I was just trying to get some warmth back into my cold wet legs ! Within a mile I was warming up nicely though and managed to get down into the tri bars to get out of the wind. My legs felt good and I seemed to be making good time, passing a few people on the way to Kingston Upon Soar for the turnaround loop. On the way back to Gotham I started to get that treacle feeling again but this time dropped the gears and span it out. When I got to the Gotham bypass I knew that most of the hilly parts were done and that I had made very good progress. I arrived back into transition in 41 something and for the first time started harbouring thoughts for a sub 1.20 finish.


T2 - because I already had socks on this was quick and non fussy !


ZAP ! Run - 24.07


I couldn't set my garmin so therefore couldn't check my pace so decided to aim for 9 minutes laps which would see a run time of 27 mins which would be better than last years 28. I feel like I ran freely and within myself and as a result was able to finish strongly - 24.07 being my fastest split over a triathlon 5km.


In all, a good solid start to a season I am really looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment