July 17, 2010

Just over a week to go - excitement is building !


As I write this, there is just over a week to go before I attempt my biggest challenge to date, which is to compete and hopefully finish an Ironman 70.3 triathlon. i think I'm ready, I've done the distances (nearly) and feel ok at the moment. I think it might be useful to look at the distances and the preparation that I have put into it....

- Swim - Ironman race distance 1.9km in open water.
Training high point - 2.250km in open water achieved twice at South Hykeham, plus I managed 1500m at the Dambuster in race conditions and hope to duplicate that performance in Antwerp. Since that start of the year, I have been going to the local pool with Heidi for lane swimming. I could have gone to tri club coached sessions, and would have benefitted from them I'm sure - but the problem is that I just don't like being told what to do, hence I may be uncoachable !
For the year my swimming total has been 48.4km, next year I will start to do longer sessions in the pool earlier to build that endurance base.

- Bike - Ironman race distance - 56 miles
Training high point - 54 miles, achieved on the tt bike last sunday, I am really loving this bike now and think I could even make a fist of hills on it if I really wanted to, the gearing and torque is just so good.
Along with this long fast ride, I've managed 50 milers at least twice, which took in lots of hills, I learnt to ride a bike in a more efficient manner and I think I broke a training partner, although not permanently !
The year started out in January in the snow and the cold weather on the mountain bike and back then everything else seemed so far away. Cycling has been the discipline I have enjoyed most and improved most in my eyes. Next year, along with a full distance Ironman, I would love to take in some 112 mile sportives. Training total for the year - 1470.8 km's !!!!!

- Run - Ironman race distance - 13.1 miles
Training high point - 11.5 miles achieved on Tuesday this week.
I have been running all year, and have included 3 x 10k races into my schedule to help me focus on what is actually the discipline that I dislike the most - which is strange because its also the one that makes me feel so good afterward. I am though, looking forward to the Great North Run in September and possibly the London Marathon next year if I'm really lucky in the ballot.
Training total for the year - 321.6 km.

Thats it - hopefully it is enough, I just hope I stay fit, ytake my time, be sensible and complete my challenge !
I will update when I get back......

No comments:

Post a Comment