January 14, 2024

Post Covid journey

Following the Langdale Marathon back in late October, I had a couple of weeks away from running and then an extended absence as somehow, I had picked up Covid. It would be my first case and thankfully I had mild symptoms manifest, with the worst of it being energy dips later in the day which resulted in the need for a kip or two. 

In terms of a return to training this was done very slowly - firstly, as recommended, during the illness, I did no exercise whatsoever, then it was a slow return to training. Since covid, I have raced a couple of 10ks....

Alton Towers 10k 49.59

This one was a birthday effort -  I would be 51 and blooming

heck did I feel all those years. I had looked forward to this one as it had been 20 years or so since my last trip to the park, and the route winds you around the rides. 

I was surprised by the amount of ups and downs on this course and that coupled with a higher than usual heart rate post illness, and my own limit placed on effort, resulted in an effort more akin to tempo but a heart rate that suggest a raced 10k. Marker down, next 10k was just a week later, I needed to beat this time, and my mate Scrappy, who had smashed me in this race ! 

A race well worth doing, as there's rides afterwards.

Gainsborough & Morton 10k 45.32

This one was raced last year and a time of 43:07 delivered. This time around, I was a week on from Alton Towers and was still in behave mode, however, I had experienced a decent week of training, and therefore with no issues , I could stretch out a bit more and have a quicker outing hopefully. It was windy but not too cold, it was OK to wear just a vest. the first half of the race being generally good, and a quickish pace, and then by the time we were skirting the Trent and into the back wind it was beginning to bite just a little. At this point, I caught a Wheeler who I didn't know was there, and then messed up the whole plan byu going far too hard in the last mile. 

Festive Fifty Sportive 

All four of the sharks got together for a fun day in the grimmest of grim conditions for the Yorkshire version of the festive fifty between Xmas & New Year.  Standing water meant that it was actually a festive 48, the minging weather was not enough to dampen a great days social riding. 

Round Sheffield Run 1.56.47

This was the first event of 2024 and something that looks like it will be an annual thing. This was run as a group and therefore the pace was a little easier than last year but it was still blooming tough , and blooming cold. It was the last time that I would use my trusty old brooks ASTs as they are now as flat as fuck, and by the end of this run my ankles were fuming with me. A good couple of hours with mates and a muddy half marathon in the bag, 2024 medal no.1 secured ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment