October 30, 2023

Woodhall Spa Sprint Triathlon 2023

 Back in the day, in fact all the way back to 2009, and Woodhall Spa was the very first Triathlon that I attended as a spectator. The idea on that day being that I would check Triathlon out and was it something that I could turn my hand to ? 

At the time I had started running in the January, and had just been booking in 10k's and the training was already a bit samey. After seeing that all shapes and sizes did Triathlon, then I said Yes, I could do it and that was that - a range of distances over the fifteen seasons that I've been competing - but Woodhall Spa will always be the 'home' of Triathlon for me.

Swim suits me as outdoor and 33m in length, short run to T1, and bike suits me as long at nearly 15 miles, and then run suits me as less than the advertised 5km. I On this day, I would be up against good local athletes as well as my Wheelers buddies who were starting 1 minute and three minutes ahead of me. Although racing all year had been long distance, and a Marathon still to come - I was bang up for this and gave it absolutely full beans....

Swim 10.16

I made a boo boo with this one - I thought I was in the lane with the Wheelers that was starting three minutes ahead of me, so when I overtook and he climbed out, I figured I'd miscounted so did another lap. It transpired lanes had been switched and in fact, I should have got out before him. I didn't know this at the time though, so ploughed on regardless. Good swim finally !!

Bike 39.32

Complete time trial mode. Next year I'll return to ten mile TTing as I know I'm slower this year and haven't raced many TTs at all - avoiding them because I know and when you know you are off it, you really don't want it comfirming !  On this one, I rode a warm up, and knew that the first half is a gradual climb and a gradual descent second half. With a backwind pushing on in the first half, I figured level effort all the way round would be fastest and that is how it played out. I was in chase mode, and put everything into the bike leg with minimal effort held back for the run. Just a couple of short traffic hold ups, and felt I held my effort well. Fastest 50+ bike leg, and 2nd fastest over 40s. I'm taking that !

Run 20.34

I just held on, I know my speed work has been zero since the injury in June, but this felt OK. Not top end , but competent, and a course PB. I expected to catch Wheeler no 2 but never did. 20.34 for the run and a time of just over 1hr 12 - of 400 competitors, 21st overall, and once relay teams stripped out, that would be 18th solo. Likely my best Tri result despite the extra swim. A good end to this cycle of Triathlon and the swimming has already stopped. Duathlon next year again - but maybe when I go back to Tri, I could just concentrate on shorter stuff like this ?

No comments:

Post a Comment