May 29, 2022

Age Group Celebration Cup - Mallory Park Sprint Duathlon

This was an event that necessitated sleeping on the sofa the night before as the alarm needed to go off at 4 am so that I could be in the car packed and ready to go to Mallory Park to arrive at 6.30. It would be signing on the same day and we anticipated that there would be bike stickers and helmets to sort out, and a complicated transition set up to learn.  Fear not, I could have had another half hour in bed as got there super early, signing on was a doddle and transition was as simple as it gets. We had plenty of time to get set up, and go for a warm up, looking like we knew what we were doing - of course, we don't, bit no one else knows that do they. 

At a little over 8am, 16 of us were set off at the same time a triathlon and aqua
bike were starting in their parallel universe ! 

Run 1 - 19.24

First thing to mention is that it wasn't a full 5 km - I clocked that at 2.92 miles , still, it was a fast effort for me and bank on the 6.40 average pace that I wanted to achieve. I reckon I counted that I was 8th, and then 9th, and then by the end of the leg, back to 8th. It was a good consistent effort from the off , and I settled well, always thinking that I would been to bike next and the drag to the top of the hairpin was just in the corner of my eyeline.  Down through the pits and to the track, it felt windless until the lake was circled and the wind seemed stronger coupled with a slight rise in gradient. I'd call that disciplined as first runs go.

Bike - 31.40

Woohoo ! 60T engaged and a lap of two halves for sure - a drag uphill into the headwind each lap, coupled with a back wind assisted sweeping downhill past the pits to complete each lap. On the climb, I capped my watts, keeping them above my target average of 250, but going no more than 295, which worked well albeit seemed a little slow whilst doing it. Slowly, I started to take some places, and by the end of the bike had averaged 243 watts and moved to 4th.

Run 2 - 10.11 

... which is where I stayed. No pressure and with just two laps this time to complete, I felt I had more time than I probably did. Pleasingly, my pace for the second run was exactly the same as the first. 

Overall 4th of 16, 2nd of 3 in AG. 

Learnings - Sprint Du for the first time in a few years, Whilst only an hour I could have done with a little water on the bike. 

Next up - duathlon wise - the qualifier at Cholmondeley Castle on 19th June.



No comments:

Post a Comment