October 02, 2017

Lincoln Half Marathon

Team Newham was supposed to getting the band back together for a Lincoln Half season swansong, but one half of the dynamic duo is still recovering from Weymouth, so it was time for the older, better looking brother to head over to the showground and attempt the 2nd edition of OSB's Lincoln Half Marathon.

The race itself..

A different course this year as instead of heading into Lincoln via Burton Road, this year the change had been made to turn right and go through Burton Village and head into Lincoln via the towpath. The HQ and bot the start and the finish would again be the showground at Lincoln. The parking seemed slick and the queues of last year averted, and the runners themselves seemed to be seeded better and the start was a much more enjoyable experience.

So, onto the race itself - I wanted a sub 1.50 time considering my lack of miles and this was only run no.6 since February. I started strong but controlled, I tracked the 1.45 marker runners and then purposely inched ahead of them heading to Burton village. I soon had clubmates for company, so forgot the pacers and focused on keeping with them. By halfway I was on for around 1.40, but at mile 8, you start a climb upto Lincoln Cathedral via Carline Road, and hence, my slowest mile of the day came to be !

From there on in, boy what a struggle. I could tell that my longest run had only been six miles, and everything started to stiffen. My calf started to throb and I adjusted my footfall to compensate, my thighs burnt but my breathing was fine. Back up at the showground and I knew I had a sub 1.43 if I pushed it a little, which I did, amazed to find that mile thirteen was slower than I had actually started at - it felt like a sprint !

So, great time, not a great demonstration of race smarts though, and certainly not a clever thing to do off so little running.

I write this a day later and my legs really really hurt !

Next weekend is the last race of a very busy season, I'll check back in after that !

No comments:

Post a Comment