May 14, 2017

City RC Hull 10 on the V and a new club record

The new trike arrived this week, complete with single drive, just 6 gears and a 55T Chainring. I have managed to get out and ride it a couple of times and I know that it is a quick barrow ! Adjustments are still being made though and I'm sure that I've not yet got the seat high enough.

All that being said, I did my V02 intervals on it outside on Thursday evening and they felt really good, so I headed to Hull with the notion that I could at least trouble the club 10 record by getting close to the 20.47 mark that I had failed to achieve on my last two trike visits (22.54 & 23.08 respectively).

My warm up had gone well and apart from having to dodge a quick shower by jumping in the back of the car - I had plenty of time to amble down to the start !

I was away by 3.57 and enjoyed a relatively busy dual carriageway as I made my way toward the turn. My garmin displayed three things - power 10s, cadence & heart rate and all three looked on track as I headed into what I thought should be a cross headwind but didn't seem to drag as it should.

The 55 tooth chainring was superb and the gearing was just right as a result, I had enough at the bottom and enough at the top. I hit the turn and made a concerted effort to work hard up the ramp and not dilly dally at the roundabouts - of course I had no average speed readout at this point but I was actually ahead of schedule at the turn.

As with most trips to the V, the back 5 is the fastest and I was nearly maxxing out with the cadence at some points. It felt fast, but I just kept working thinking I was there or thereabouts and every second counts. Having a power meter on a trike is very useful and I found myself working consistently to my target power whereas I would have been all over the place usually.

I finished strongly but daren't check the ride time until I was rolling into Newport. 22.05 - a new club record and VTTA NM age record - I'll take that !

NP 310W
HR 173
TEMP 16c
WIND SSW 11mph

No comments:

Post a Comment