September 18, 2016

Stockton Wheelers 50

Four weeks of coaching and some intense sessions and this was my first two wheeled test. I needed to finish todays event in under 2.01 (scratch that, I understand not BBAR counting now, but didn't know that beforehand), and also knew I had to beat last years time of 1.58.47 as I was part of a team of 3 looking to improve on our club 50 team record that we set last year.

I was going to camp, but after the trikey try outs and BBQ yesterday, decided against that and instead got up at four for a long day of driving and racing. It was chilly with temperature starting at just 9 degress, and misty especially at the bottom of the course at Dishforth. the wind though was very still with an estimated 3/4 mph SE, which is one of the reasons that the mist hadn't gone anywhere.

My start time was 8.48 which I think was ideal as the sun was shining through and it was a really nice blue sky day. This was also the first time that I'd be using velotoze long socks and I was interested to see how they panned out.

The race itself went ....

Really swimmingly well to be honest. the out leg, with little in the way of headwind to battle was a joy. I tried to keep my cadence at 90-95rpm, and my heart rate between 160-170. My power was showing PB figures of 310 as an average, but to be honest this will be out as I've noticed that the right hand peddle had slipped. Every time the speed dropped, I said to myself don't worry the figures are good so didn't chase anything.

Got to the turn in a late 56, and then headed back through the mist which still lingered at the bottom of the course. The mist was making my legs cold and initially it felt a bit sluggish on the return. I persevered though, and as the mist cleared and the sun shone and more importantly the course turned Northward, well speed picked up. I must have been tired though, as cadence was dropping slightly.

Off the dual carriageway and just gearing up for a big finish when I got caught behind some farm machinery. I eventually got past and hammered the very last section to pass the TK with a new PB of 1.55.03. Over the moon and a much better team record achieved.

NP 310w (dubious)
AP 311w  (also dubious)
Temp : 9c
Wind : 4mph SE
Course T502
HR 166bpm



No comments:

Post a Comment