June 12, 2016

Great Limber Road Race

Wednesday evening brought around a trip up to Great Limber to take part in round 4 of the Lincs race League at Great Limber with an event put on by Lindsey Roads CC.

It was a cool night but lovely weather and they were plenty of riders already signed on by the time I managed to find the HQ. I signed on with group 2 again which was mahoosive and is certainly very popular and was in with quite a few fellow Wheelers.

The course was hillier than Brattleby in total climb, but far easier on poorer climbers like me as it was rolling with just one long sweeping mile and a half climb, and, as it was going to be a 3 and a half lap affair only, this meant the drag would have to be negotiated only 4 times., I didn't think it was going to be as much of a struggle to keep in the mix.

Onto the actual race, and I positioned myself towards the rear to avoid the early giddiness and did OK going up the drag first time around. When we got to the top however there is a hairpin turn and as I was last out of this I nearly got dropped and had two miles of furious downhill to negotiate to get back on - you would not believe how hard it is to make up just twenty metres on a bunch !

Next time up the hill I made sure to make a few places so that when we got to the turn I was in the middle somewhere, this plan worked and I was able to get in the middle of the bunch. Job done. 2nd to last time up the drag, did the same, no problem, but we had the bell, so the pace picked up a little.

I must have lost concentration as I was almost last into the right hand turn into Great Limber and just like that my race was done !  I was dispatched by about twenty metres and could not get back on. I decided to wait for group 3 who were behind me, and got in with them, but my legs had gone and I ended up limping back about a minute behind.

Another fun workout and enjoyable event - I'm loving these TLI races at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment