December 13, 2015

Regionals

Regional Cyclocross Champs took place over in Shropshire on a miserable wet day. We arrived early in the morning as our first rider was off at 11.15, whereas my own race would not start until 2.15 - ample opportunity to cheer on at the earlier race, and get some time on the course. 
The course, of course, was a really fun one in the dry. Lots of ups and downs, tight turns, mud, off cambers and a huge dip to bomb down and then a lovely longish grovelly climb to get back up.

By the time my race came about though, it had been raining on and off, and the well used track had become a bit of as quagmire. It still looked like fun, but it was going to take lots of effort not to fall off. I was surprised to be gridded, and this put me further up the field at the start than I was comfortable with - preferring the idea of starting at the back and then feeling my way into the race. 

No matter though because I went backward almost from the very start, and what unfolded felt very much like a slow bicycle race on ice ! Mud accumulated very quickly so the bike felt really heavy. I was fine in a straight line but any deviation from this resulted in a battle to stay upright. 

The massive drop I mentioned took an age whilst I went down with the brakes on whilst others litellay raced down it - the climb up the other side was good though. A special mention to the cross cambers which were treacherous !  

In just over an hour I managed to negotiate 6 laps whereas the winner did 9 - still, not last, but a large amount of bike cleaning needed afterward ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment