June 27, 2015

TLI Grantham Road Race

This was my second TLI road race of the season, and my second time doing the Grantham Road Race - a quick re-cap of last year was to get dropped at the end of lap one, riding two laps solo, and then getting lost on the way back to HQ !

So, plenty to improve on then !

I turned up and signed on to the very large group two and inevitably it was that group that got split into two - so the line up for the night was group 1, and then groups 2A, mine 2B, 3 and then 4 !

We set off a minute behind group 2A, and I very nearly got dropped leaving the start at the Cricket Club. Got into the train though and made my way to the front to start taking turns. This worked well for the first couple of miles and then I found I was taking longer and longer turns on the front. The last one of these was a couple of miles and the game was up, we were to just wait for group 3 to catch us, which they did after 12 miles. Sitting on the back of group 3 and then 4 when it passed was a learning experience - reacting to every little break, and trying to keep on the end of the elastic so that it didn't snap. I worked very hard on the uphills not to lose touch and was in the pelton with 1km to go.

There was just the one big hill to go and I attacked it going for the finish - one crash between the Wheelers later though, and I sat up and went back to check if the guy who had veered into the hedgerow was OK. That was my race over for this year but it didn't matter - I had gotten out of it more than I'd expected !  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment