March 08, 2015

Cliff Pratt Cyclocross Spring League


18.03.14 ROUND 3

Third and final race of this series for me as the fourth race falls the day before the Middlemarkers and I figure that I need to be as fresh for that as I possibly can be.

So, third round and a bit drier than last week. Had less air in the tyres this week as thought it would be wetter, and I think I could have gotten away with more. The race itself followed last weeks albeit the course was better this week with an extra up and down in it.

I worked hard and managed to manoeuvre myself up a few places. Guys that lapped me in week one failed to do so by a far margin this week, so I either must have improved.

A satisfying end to the series and may well be back for the autumn series. 26/36


11.03.14 ROUND 2
One week on and a second go at the course at the 'Elvis' Costello stadium in Hull.

There had been rain during the day, not heavy but enough to muddy up last weeks tracks. The course was much the same as the previous weeks with slight variance here and there where the organisers felt a change needed to be made.

My actual race was a start at the back again affair and then steadily attempt to make progress through the field. It was more slippy and my first few laps were tentative - until I started to learn my lines so to speak.

A 28/39 finish for the second in the series with just a final race to negotiate this coming Wednesday.


04.03.14 ROUND 1

OK, this is a first ! It's a cross race, but it's held in mid-week and it's floodlit - what's not to like ?? Put on by the City Road Club Hull, this event is a series of four races held on Wednesday evenings (and a Saturday) at the Costello Athletics Stadium at Hull.

Some Wheelers got together, and went over for some fun... this is how the first one went...

7.45 at the line, and positioned to the rear, starter starts us off and immediate crash, which I manage to dodge from my position , however, a lot of people are held up early on ! There is nothing on the first lap which has me in danger of coming off, and everything bar the boards section is rideable. It has been dry and there is a lot of grass on the course. I'm told that it will muddy up nicely in coming weeks though !

From here it was a case of riding at a good tempo, avoiding riders riding into each other, and picking people off where I could. It was an enjoyable 53 mins or so, and round one ended with a 33/48 finish. .

I can only do rounds two and three and will update this thread as and when :)

No comments:

Post a Comment