January 01, 2015

Winter Double

Boxing Day 26.37 (trike)
New Years Day 19.32

The Lincoln Wheelers Winter Double is historically a two race series that takes place on Boxing Day and New Years Day - two days of the year that a good race is the perfect antidote to seasonal excesses !

Boxing Day this year was to be a fancy dress affair for which I dessed all 70's like and rode the trike, and New Years Day was to be all serious ! This is how my Winter Double unfolded :

Boxing Day - I went off at No.1 knowing that the trike would be slow compared to some of the field. My flared trousers flapped in the wind and my leather jacket looked like a bat cape ! It was hard work and the 12 weeks that I had put in on the turbo seemed to have had no effect at all. A struggle round and a time of 26.37 in the end. I think I'll stick to skinsuits !

New Years Day - A very windy day at c.20mph whereas Boxing Day had been a gentler 8. This made the course backwind, headwind and then crosswind. I started well enough and got to the Torsksey turn with an average of around 25.5mph. The 3 mile stretch along the A1133 into headwind killed this stone dead and the average dropped to around 22.9 by the end of it. I battled the crosswind along the A57 and managed to get to around 23.5mph by the end. I did notice that I span the pedals better than last year and overall probably pleased with the time. 19.37 at the line - I think theres more to come as the year progresses.




No comments:

Post a Comment