March 09, 2014

VTTA North Mids 18km TT

2nd time trial of the season and the first experience of racing on the A1 - gulp !!!!!

This event was a first experience of racing on the A1 - something that I feared and wanted to put to bed early in the year. This time trial is put on by VTTA North Midlands  which is handy, because as I'm 41 now, I'm classed as a veteran and can ride for their trophies.

The course is a rectangle which starts at Ranby just off the A1, heads out past the prison, north to and through Blyth, and then down the A1 for a few miles to the finish.

For some reason I was off at no.69, 2nd to last with only the Outlaw legend Kevin Dawson to chase me down - oh great !  At 2.09 I was set on my way and found myself riding into a slight headwind for the first couple of miles until we passed the prison.

A very tentative left hand turn followed and then BOOM ! 17mph backwind to assist me up this rolling road. At this point I felt alright and didn't feel that I was overdoing it like I normally do - and then I got passed by Mr Dawson who looked like he was on a gentle pedal around the countryside ! I rode on catching my minuteman not long after, and again feeling OK until I reached Blyth and then turned straight into a headwind and an uphill drag !! - it broke me to watch my speed drop to a measly 15mph at this point.

Thats OK though, cos' as soon as I got to the top of the climb I was straight onto the A1 for the scariest (and most exciting) riding of my life. OK, there were a few wobbles at the top of some of the rises as the wind gusted, and there was a real struggle with the wind - but for the second week in a row I managed and average of 23.9mph and finished in 26.57 (22nd/55).

I also took the VTTA North Mids Handicap as well which was a pleasant surprise at the end of a good ride
!

No comments:

Post a Comment