April 29, 2013

LRRA 2-up TTT 15.5m

Onwards and upwards then, and today I took part in my 2nd LRRA event in the form of my first two man time trial held out of Horncastle in Lincolnshire.

My partner in crime for the day would be the best climber in the club and with me being possibly the worst, I knew I might be in for a hard day in the saddle ! We were off early too - numbers 3 & 4 which would make us the second team out on the road.

After a brief timing scare where I road off up the road on a warm up and only just made it back to the start on time we were set off !  We literally tear arsed it for the first part into the wind, switching on the inside like a well oiled machine ! Damn, I thought - I wish we'd ridden TT bikes - the course was TT friendly in my eyes.

About 6 miles in and the road turned left and we had a glorious back wind so we were able to hammer along at a decent pace and bring up the average speed to above 23 mph. After around 4 miles, we turned left where we though we'd still get back wind but didn't ! In fact, this was the hilliest part and although they could have been negotiated with a TT bike, the truth is my climbing began to hurt and I was holding back my ride partner.

Over the line in 39.57 and good enough ride for 15/23 teams on the day. A switch to TT bikes like everyone else would have seen us propelled up the leader board - but we'll keep that secret weapon til next year :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment