December 27, 2011

Colwick Parkrun #2



On Christmas Eve I decided to get up early and have another go at Colwick Parkrun seeing as it is only an hour away from me and I could think of no reason not to.

On 26th November I ran 22.55, but bouyed by some decent training runs during the week, felt that I could go faster than that. Thing is, being Xmas week, the office has been full of food all week and lets just say that I've not been shy ! Consequently, I felt a little bloated when I rocked up at the start on Saturday morning.



The weather was overcast and dry, although it had been raining during the preceding couple of days and it was clear that there were going to be puddles to negotiate , as well as some mud in some places.



At 9am we huddled together for the start, the marshalls (who were great again today) got us all to shake each others hands and wish each other happy holidays - it was a really nice touch.



We were counted down from five and then we were off ! Race plan was to go off strong and see how far I could hold that pace - this went to plan for the first 400m or so and I held a good place in the field, but obviously I couldn't hold that workrate for ever and started to drop off into my own regular race pace. I was being very careful on the course to as it was slippy in places and on a couple of occasions I felt my foot slip. I was navigated the puddles reasonably well as well, when normally I would get a good bootful !!



All the way round I was in no danger of catching the person in front of me, but on the other hand the people behind weren't making any ground on me either. I kept this status quo all the way to the line, and finished the run with a time of 22.54 - a whole 1 second improvement over the last race four weeks ago and 22nd place on the day.


Many thanks to the volunteers on the day which made the run so special. I cannot recommend park run enough - details can be found here : http://www.parkrun.com/home



No comments:

Post a Comment