August 03, 2024

Belvoir Middle Distance Duathlon

 A very hot day for this one and a stepping stone to the Long Distance Champs in 6 weeks time. I would be racing with Ian & Scrappy again, The distances were 10.5k first run, 56 mile bike, and then 10.5k second run.

The reason for the long runs we figured was that it made four laps for a Marathon and two laps for a half so could use the same course. Anyone doing four laps of that run course has my total respect ! 

1st run - 51.27 

Over 6.5 miles this one and a mix of terrain. I erred on the side of caution and opted to do the first run in a new pair of Saucony Speed 4's. It was up and down and was a one lap affair - very testing course and similar to the other Castle events. Not quick at all and I reckon at the end of it I was in 7th.

Bike - 3.00.01

I respected the course too much and opted for the Propel with clip on bars - hindsight being 20/20 I would have risked the TT but didn't want to change the chainrings. It started OK, but after about 15 miles I couldn't keep on the TT pads and did a load os swapping around - all the while losing watts and my profile just sank away. The climb wasn't to long or tough so don't know why I was so scared. Off the bike in 4th, having been 3rd for the majority.

2nd run 58.41

Poor positioning on the bike , lack of brick practice, and downhill running on the first leg conspired to hamper my second run. I didn't walk any which was a positive and I didn't cramp (I'd had a warning on the bike). Race management until the end with a chance of 3rd, but with no additional gear to achieve it. 4th in the end.

Bassingham Bash 5 mile race -  40:14

I ran from home which was just over 7 miles, then did another couple and then topped it off with the race itself. 9 minute miling and then a minute a mile quicker for the race. On a hot day and with not enough water, that was a decent performance and got my long runs going again as now only 5 weeks left !




No comments:

Post a Comment