May 11, 2024

2024 ETU MIDDLE DISTANCE DUATHLON CHAMPS ALSDORF RACE REPORT

This past weekend, myself and fellow Brit Dave Mason made the trip from Hull via the overnight Ferry, through the Nederlands, and on to Alsdorf in Germany for our second attempt at the European Middle Distance Duathlon Championships. Our last attempt was in 2022, and with the Championships not being held in 2023, then this year was a double helping of qualifiers. It was to be a stacked field, as you would expect.  We stayed in exactlt the same place - base was the De Brenkburg apartments in Schinveld which was a handy 13 miles away from from Alsdorf. Parking was easy as able to park freely in the Supermarket Car Park for each visit including race day free of charge. 

Pre Race

We had just the one tune up on the bike which lasted a whole 37 minutes and took place on a road which ran up and down the Dutch/German border. On the Saturday morning, we registered at the sports shop, and then later that evening we returned for a parade of nations, and a team photo.


1st Run - 6.04 miles - 41.59

8.45am so the age group men 20-54 setting off and this time I think I might have been further forward than last time as although my planned sensible first mile went out of the window, I was going backwards quickly. The leaders snaked off into the distance and then I found my place in the order and stayed in and around the same place. Job done at 6.59 average mile pace which was better than expected given recent injury problems and 7 seconds per mile outside of 2022's run.

Bike - 35.66 miles - 1.38.17

Get on it. Total TT course and a testers dream. Now with added out and back section moving the course from 35.66 miles to 37.17 miles. It does undulate, This year in preparation for Zofingen , I've changed to a 58T double rind set up with shorter cranks of 172.5mm.  I relied on my power meter and tried to keep around last times 223W  The course itself is open to the elements and windy this time around, I was gloveless this time as 12.5 degrees so OK. There were some headwind grinds, some ups and downs, and enough to keep it interesting. 9 dead turns were served up, and quite a few tight turns. I had a powerbar and then a few jelly babies that I struggled to reach, washed down with Ribena and SIS gels. First lap maybe a bit giddy with power as I was aiming for 220-230W but then lost c.10W per lap on 2&3 as the position bit me. I kept a good cadence and finished at 83 which is good for me. 22.7mph on the day and that was all I had. The previous time I'd done the Kings Lynn 25 the weekend before, maybe that was a factor as all my TTing has been 5 miles or 10s so far.


2nd Run - 45.09

First mile I found my legs and put in a 7.07 but I was completely on the rivet and couldn't keep that up, it didn't stay there, and it was a mind over matter exercise as the miles ticked off and the pace ebbed away. I set myself a stop gap of 7:30 minute miles, but lost that late on, but did average 7:30 overall. Some good brick runs done after the bike racing recently helped, however, a lack of racing multi sport this year has found me out.  My hamstrings took a right pasting at this event and I could feel them moaning for the last four miles or so.  A workmanlike performance of 3.08.42.  15th in age group this time round, 

Great to be back in Alsdorf and also to be racing pain free. 


No comments:

Post a Comment